[Dixielandjazz] Glen Miller's death

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Jul 11 20:52:03 PDT 2006

Interestingly enough a radio show here in the Chicago 'burbs addressed just
that question last week (and unfortunately it's now off the show's web
site).  They had a "big band expert" on who talked about why the bands died.
The subject came up because they were playing remotes by big bands from
1946.

He cited three or four basic reasons.  One is obvious.  Singers became huge
(think Sinatra, but a lot of others), bigger than the bands they sang with.
He didn't mention the recording ban, but I'm sure that had a lot to do with
it since the only new music being released by the major record labels was
vocal.

The other has to do with the changing lifestyles of the fans of the big
bands.  The people who danced in the late '30s went to war in the early
'40s.  by the mid '40s, they were back and doing things like buying houses,
starting families, etc.  Result:  attendance at the dance halls dropped.

Finally there was the direction that the big bands were going.  Ellington
was composing suites that weren't all that danceable.  Then there were the
bands like the Herds, Kenton, and Boyd Raeburn.  Again, not very danceable.

The cost of maintaining (and from the other end booking) big bands also
apparently became prohibitive in the postwar years.  So a lot of them ended
up disbanding because they couldn't get gigs.

So there's one theory.

WWMD?  (What would Miller do?)  Good question.  I know he was playing around
with a different sax sound before he went into the AAF with more emphasis on
the lower register ones.  I've heard it in a few recordings from about that
time.  We also know that he had strings in the AAF band (something that Tex
Beneke continued at least for awhile when the Miller estate gave leadership
of the band to him).  But since he died a decade before the birth of rock
'n' roll, it's pretty hard to say what he would have done by the mid '50s.

Listen to early rock 'n' roll records.  Yeah, you've got the electric
guitar, but you often have string bases, at least one sax, etc.  The lead
guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, and maybe a keyboard groups really
straight out of Chicago blues bands that a lot of the British Invasion
rockers listened to.  So blame Muddy Waters!  :-)  Early rock owed a lot to
guys like Louis Jordan.

Oh, and here's a twist to something you said.  In the '60s there was a
do-wop group called the Duprees.  They were discovered by a big band leader
who had started a small record company.  He coupled their do-wop with
Milleresque reeds.  I like the sound.  Here's a link to some links
(RealAudio required):  http://www.duprees.com/home.html .  Scroll down to
the list of hits.  There are four links to their original recordings.

Hal Vickery