[Dixielandjazz] How Not to book a Senior Center gig

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jul 11 14:52:10 PDT 2006

Oh I hear you - there are a lot of guys that will sell out for nothing.
Trouble is that everyone has to compete in that same market and it's hard to
get fair money.  I would hate to be a Whore trying to sell what the teen age
girls are giving away free next door.  There you have it.

It's even worse in the Sr. Citizen market.  First of all many of them plead
poverty and sometimes it's true.  The way I try to find out is to gauge how
many Medicaid people they have.  If none they can afford to pay well
usually.  Many of the homes are definitely for profit organizations and they
don't like to pay for anything and the for profit part they don't extend to
you.

the next problem is there is such a lot of free entertainment available.
There are dozens of groups from the Sweet Adolines to the Shriners that will
go out for a donation (usually $100 or less) with a group of 20 or 25.  Yes
it isn't good quality music but that simply doesn't count.  It's the bean
counters and ad people.  They can say they have entertainment X number of
times per week to prospective clients.

My cornet player's wife goes out and sings at least once a week with some
group or another for nursing homes.  She's not a pro and the group is social
and no one makes money but the bottom line is that some nursing home or
senior village is getting free entertainment at least once a week and it's
hard to buck that.  There are dozens of groups like that here.

I do ok but they hire me when they can't get someone for free like when all
the free or low cost groups are booked.  You better believe that if they can
get a four piece band to work for the same price as I charge they will.
There is a guy that is really bad (drummer) although he does hire fairly
good musicians sometime will ace me out every time with a bigger group.
Fortunately I have a show and we play fairly well so we do work but that's
started to fall off lately.
Larry Walton
St. Louis