[Dixielandjazz] good recordings to learn from

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun Jul 9 10:51:16 PDT 2006

Whenever I'm teaching students Dixieland style playing, I have them get
a copy of Harry Connick's  "ELEVEN".. this is a straight -ahead Cd with
every tune being a super standard (like Sweet Georgia Brown, Dr. Jazz
et. al) in the standard keys. Arrangements are simple so that 11 year
old Harry could play along with the professional musicians hired to be
the band.  CDs  by the "Hot Jazz Band Of Hungary"  and "TITAN HOT FIVE"
(or Seven) will provide contemporary hot sounds to the mouldy tunes of
the past.  Once again, these bands play well-known tunes in "the right
keys", so that if you play along with them, and then go to a gig, you
will have learned the songs in the keys most likely to be called.
Using CDs  from bands like these is how I do my daily practice - - -I
cue up a CD then play along with the band until the last song, using
fast reverse to repeat phrases/melodies I want to learn.  Most Jazz Cds
are close to an hour, and the time flies when you are performing with
the best, and it doesn't feel like practice, it feels like more of
personal jam session (you quickly learn what it means to use the
expression  "time flies when you're having fun".)  I also love playing
along with a couple of Cds by Guy Van Deuser/Billy Novick because just
these 2 guys lay down some of the nicest stuff availble, and if you
play along it allows you room to fit in. For general learning of just
trad/dixieland style playing, almost anything with Wild Bill Davidson
or Eddie Condon will work.  These guys always surrounded themselves
with great musicians.