[Dixielandjazz] Alternate "Story" About Glenn Miller's Demise?

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 11:58:18 PDT 2006

Martin,

  Apparently there are almost as many myths/legends about Miller's death as there are about Elvis.  The shortest explanation of the mystery is this excerpt from the US News website at www.usnews.com :

Glenn Miller
1904-1944. American bandleader and composer.
  OFFICIAL CAUSE OF DEATH: Flying to Paris to plan a Christmas concert for the troops, he crashed in the English Channel in a dense fog. The Nazis claimed Miller's death in a Paris brothel was covered up by the Allies. No one believed them.   BUT: An RAF logbook shows a fighter jettisoned unused bombs, accidentally hitting a plane. Was it Miller's?

   - - - - - - - - - -

  Kay Spencer

Martin Nichols <marnichols at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Listmates,

I heard a story from one of my fellow patients at the local
cardiac "rehab" place this week. It was an alternative to the
story of Miller's plane disappearing on a flight, and presumed
lost with Miller on board. I won't repeat the details of this
"other version" lest it be untrue. I only wonder if anyone
has ever heard of another credible story of Glenn Miller's
death?

Marty Nichols
Freelance Trombonist
http://myspace.com/freemarty