[Dixielandjazz] The Convincing Anachronism

mmckay macjazz at se.rr.com
Sat Jul 8 11:01:30 PDT 2006

Interesting review and quite accurate. Chestnut does not reflect much of the
modern (ala Jarrett/Tyner etc) but certainly doesn't lack for anything by
not showing them. As an official "Designated listener" Chestnut is one whom
I work very hard to designate for listening.

One comment is that in my experience he is much better in person than on any
of the three CDs I have. He relates to his audience at a very high level and
tends to work for and with them at all times.  I had the opportunity a
couple of years ago to hear him in a 450 seat auditorium where -- through a
mix up in the publicity -- there were less than 40 of us in attendance. He
gave an awesome, full performance that would have knocked the sox off a
department store manikin.

It is not OKOM, but it is close enough and good enough to be totally
enjoyable.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated listener.