[Dixielandjazz] Re: Old Recordings and Styles vs. New

OArkas at aol.com OArkas at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 14:12:17 PDT 2006

Hi:
Interesting subject!   Traditional ("dixieland") jazz is like folklore, but
it is/was also a form of "pop" music.   There's a difference, but there are
also cross overs.   There can be lots of discussion on that.   But... to the
extent that it's a form of folklore, then the folklorists will emphasize the
concept of "context."   Who (when) is/was the audience, and when/where/how was the
folklore performed.   Folklorists might say that without the folk audience,
the folklore (in this case the trad jazz) can't really exist in that form any
more.   In other words, different time, different place, different audience, and
the music doesn't exist in a valid context anymore.   So those who say they
don't listen to the old recordings for whatever reason, have a valid point.
However!   On the other hand:   One definition of a "classic" (ie Mona Lisa,
classic music etc.) is that the "art" speaks across generations, time periods,
cultures, and geographical boundaries.   Our music seems to do that also.
So, if this music and these songs are classic and universal, then they can't be
thrown out or ignored, and they are important and can be played in the old
styles and ways!
So, now that I've said all this, I guess my opinion is that both ideas are
valid.   It all depends on what the individual likes and how the music talks to
him/her.   Confusing maybe, but that's what this thread got me thinking about
out.
I always enjoy our dixieland jazz list.
Best regards,
John Pappas