[Dixielandjazz] And There I Stood with my Piccolo - Meredith Willson

Audrey VanDyke audrey at callitmusic.com
Thu Jul 6 13:14:28 PDT 2006

Since Meredith Willson's antecedents have been raised on the list, I
recommend this book of reminisces by Meredith Willson to anyone who
enjoys such books.  It's a a book of mild, gently humorous
storytelling.  While many of the chapters center around music, the
interest is more in the way he relates the story than the facts of the
story itself.  It can sometimes be found on ABE or ebay, but goes fairly
high.

My favorite story is the drummer who was bored and wanted a publicity
stunt for his band, so decided to run for mayor.  The only position
open, however, was LT-gov on the democratic ballot.  For the first time
in years, the democrats won and he was  elected on the slogans a
flowerpot for every hydrant and a pretty girl for every streetcar.

Maybe we should follow his example and take over the world.  Lets see,
"A Drummer in Every Pot."  "Tip A Canoe and Paddle Madeline Home Too."
"Jazz with Honor."
Audrey Van Dyke