[Dixielandjazz] 4th of July

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jul 6 10:21:33 PDT 2006

Fourth of July, not being an exactly special day in Spain requires one to
play only very special jobs.  Ours, then, was at the U.S. Embassy Garden
party.  We were placed on the top of a very high hill, at the door of the
embassy mansion, with the gardens stretching out below us.  We were at least
18 feet above the people below who were mainly busy lining up for Hard Rock
Cafe hamburgers & hot dogs (yuck!),  paella (better), beer, wine, & Starbuck
coffee (double yuck!).  Having said all my "yucks", we hit the stands before
having to climb to our mount, and I hungrily partook of everything I could
get my hands on!

Following the presentation of the Colors (Spanish & U.S. flags), and a
speech by the Embassador (who mentioned the name of the band & what we had
planned for the crowd...good Dixieland), we played for an hour and a
quarter.  Eventually, some of the wandering crowd actually began swing
dancing on the lawn!

We were followed by a brass group (military) from a U.S. base in Germany,
who said their book included things like That's a Plenty!  They were
strickly brass.  We didn't get to hear them, as we had to rush off to our
club gig, being only the 2nd night of an 11 night run at the club.

Oh!  We wore multi colored vests, white shirt, black trousers.  4th of July,
Dixieland, in Spain....we do what is expected of us.  No complaints from us!

Have a picture from the stage if anyone wants to write me for it.

Jim