[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Wed Jul 5 21:43:36 PDT 2006

I've been giving this some thought.  I first heard early Louis Armstrong
material around the time I was 15 I think.  I had bought an FM radio for
myself and accidentally found Ed Beach.  When I heard the Armstrong stuff it
was as if I'd heard God.  Prior to this I had only heard the Dukes and
FH5+2, Ralph Sutton and some big band.  I loved what I heard.  However, by
this time I had also been collecting phonographs and records for 3 years.  I
was quite used to the background hiss and could easily tune it out.  The
hiss just does not register.  Listen to 78s for an hour or two.  Pretty
soon, the hiss will disappear.  I have not heard a modern day player or band
yet that can get to me the same way that Armstrong's Hot 5 and Hot 7s can,
although there are times when the Black Eagles come very, very close.  It
doesn't matter to me at what stage of existence a jazz musician is.  What
counts is how the music affects me.

Ron L