[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 5 21:05:10 PDT 2006

Louis Lince at louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk wrote:

> In my view you cannot ignore the originals. With modern technology on CD
> releases the scratches etc have been removed. Listen to the Mortons, Hot 5s
> and 7s, Sam Morgans, Armand Pirons etc. in their cleaned up versions. Then
> listen to the "modern" crop of musicians and see where they got their
> inspiration.
>
> All current day musicians have every right to play in their way but they all
> (I believe) owe their dues to the earlier musos.
>
> This does not, in any way, stop anybody from listening to both current CDs
> and "originals." There is still a lot to learn from the "founders" of the
> music as well as today's exponents. Live and let live

I quite agree Louis. The problem is in limiting a selection to 10 CDs. Can
one really become conversant with the language and various styles of
Dixieland by listening to that few?

When I was young, I listened to it all, incessantly. Dixieland, Swing,
Progressive, Small band jazz, bebop, etc., etc., etc. And saw it all live at
the various clubs and concert halls. Especially the reed players, from
George Lewis & Omer Simeon to Pres, Bean, Bird, and Trane. I had a large
record collection of them and saw them all perform live.

But that was then. Now in my reed dotage, I rarely listen to the dead guys
unless they are on the radio when I'm driving my car. My CDs are all of
current bands/players like Davern, Peplowski, Metz's Bobcats, et  al, except
for a few like the recently discovered Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie in the
1960s, or some obscure Tony Scott record that I missed in the 50s or 60s.

Since Dan specifically asked for 10 CDs, no more, how can one choose? That's
why I said listen to the guys who play it today. If you have to take the
short course, there is really no other viable choice as I hear it.

Cheers,
Steve