[Dixielandjazz] 10 Representative Dixieland Recordings

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 15:58:20 PDT 2006

Hi Steve et al

In my view you cannot ignore the originals. With modern technology on CD
releases the scratches etc have been removed. Listen to the Mortons, Hot 5s
and 7s, Sam Morgans, Armand Pirons etc. in their cleaned up versions. Then
listen to the "modern" crop of musicians and see where they got their
inspiration.

All current day musicians have every right to play in their way but they all
(I believe) owe their dues to the earlier musos.

This does not, in any way, stop anybody from listening to both current CDs
and "originals." There is still a lot to learn from the "founders" of the
music as well as today's exponents. Live and let live

Best

Louis