[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Advocate

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Jul 4 22:19:27 PDT 2006

I've said this before, and I'll say it again from the standpoint of one who
is a fan.  I think the idea is to hook them while they're young, before peer
pressure sets in, and to get them to hear it *live*.  They may submit to the
peer pressure and listen to whatever is popular among that age group, but
some will eventually find their way back.

I was pretty lucky with my kid.  He didn't hear much at home from me other
than jazz, from OKOM to hard bop mostly.  He got into jazz band in junior
high and naturally gravitated to the stuff they were playing there and in
high school.

But thanks to Don Mopsick when he was about 16, after my son had been going
off on his own at Elkhart while I'd go to sets playing OKOM, I got a couple
of tickets to a JCJB concert up in Madison, WI.  It was like a light went on
in his head when he heard them.

Since then he's told me that the reason he resisted at first was simply the
quality of the sound on stuff like the Hot Fives and Sevens, Bix, etc.
Apparently he wasn't around when I'd play anything else.

At any rate he listened to a lot of OKOM (loves the Bob Cats, btw) at
Elkhart this year with his girlfriend who is also 26 and who says she likes
it now that she's heard it.  You can't underestimate the value of presenting
music to kids *live*.

Hal Vickery