[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Advocate

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 2 14:27:07 PDT 2006

Joe Hopkins <acjspres at aol.com> wrote

> I could post many notes as did Steve Barbone but it does smack of
> "bragging", so I rarely do it.....we play many gigs for high schools kids and
> college kids....we get a great reaction. I just booked the Boondockers for a
> gig  here (Arizona) for the Lindy Hoppers in September....it will be a fun
> evening.  The next day (Sunday afternoon) they will play for the AZ Classic
> Jazz  Society.

> I do think most decent dixieland bands are doing this already....Steve leaves
> the impression that it is not often done nor understood. I do know that the
> Lindy Hoppers had a big swing dance weekend in Denver several weeks ago and
> the great Queen City Jazz Band played for them....the kids loved it! Also,
> Bria  and Claire have been playing for young folks for years....

> As far as I am concerned this guarantees the future of OKOM and it is much
> more fun than playing for a bunch of folks my age - VBG!

> We are  confronted with insurmountable opportunities"....Pogo

Hi Joe & Listmates:

Yes, I do mean to leave the impression that most Dixieland Bands do not play
for young audiences in schools, or for swing dancers with any regularity.
You and I surely do, and maybe Queen City, but not many others. I hope that
they will be moved to change their ways.

For example, in Washington DC area there are about 10 Dixieland Bands and a
Trad Jazz Society. Many of their leaders/personnel are lurkers on the DJML.
None of those bands do what you and I do. In fact, last December a Dixieland
Band for a major swing dance in DC was brought in from Pittsburgh, 350 miles
away, because the local dance club was unaware of the local bands. And DC
has some great Dixieland Bands, among the best in the USA.

In my immediate area there are 5 or 6 other Dixieland Bands. None doing what
you and I do, even though I encourage them to play for the young. Many of
their personnel are lurkers on the DJML.

The Boondockers, to my knowledge, rarely, if ever, play swing dances. If you
booked them for one, hopefully, you'll start a trend. I don't think it ever
crossed their minds to concentrate on playing for the young until Bill
Gunter came East several years ago and saw us playing in a brew pub, being
wildly applauded by kids. Even at that, his host, a famous Dixieland expert,
tried to downplay it saying that the kids are just making noise and don't
really appreciate the music. His host's band, never plays for kids except
when I book it as one of six that plays Mardi Gras night in one my client
brew pubs.

Bria et al play for kids, yes, of course, they are kids. Yet remember a year
or so ago when the DJML had a discussion about whether a Festival should
hire them? All sorts of "No" because they were thought of as a novelty. Damn
little thought about the fact that they would draw audience, and a young
audience at that. Damn little thought that their performance would help the
sagging festival scene. Damn little thought that they are a good band.

In the Northeast, none of the swing dancers knew anything about today's
Dixieland bands, other than mine. After my urging, they "discovered" that
Dan Levinson, Vince Giordano, Ed Polcer, the Greater Connecticut Jazz Fest,
The Hot Steamed Jazz Fest and the Pee Wee Russell Memorial Stomp are all
great bands and/or venues for swing dancing.

Most of the Jazz Festivals that provide for swing dancing, had to be dragged
kicking and screaming into providing some swinging Dixieland and a venue for
it. Still others make no attempt, other than lip service, to get the young
to their Festivals.

Etc., etc., etc.

Now, finally, there is a movement spearheaded by Don Jones of American Rag
and some forward thinking Festival Producers to explore ways to get the
young to come to OKOM Festivals. I'm pleased that I played a small part in
getting that started. They all digested what I had to say after being warned
that I had an "attitude" that turns some folks off.

In my experience, most Dixieland Bands are neither playing for swing dancing
kids, nor will they make any effort to do so unless you hit them over the
head with a board, or post about how easy it is to do.

And so I post about it. Because it is good for the music if we all just do
it. And, as you said: "it is much more fun than playing for a bunch of folks
my age - VBG!"

I wish you would post more about your successes with the young. Many of the
600 or so on the DJML still don't believe that kids like this music. And the
future of Festivals like Sacramento depends upon kids attending.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone