[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Four Leaf Clover" was (Soprano (Ukulele) banjo movie star?)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 31 13:26:09 PST 2006

Pat (the Ladd) from the UK wrote to me off list saying:
>Hi Bill,
I can't remember who made THE record of `I'm looking over...` but I
remember that it was either on the obverse of, or was released at about the
same time as `Heartbreaker` This would have been around 1948 and I remember
that Jack Jackson whose record show was a weekly 'must`, played the darn
thing 5 or 6 times in succession one night. As soon as it was finished he
would say `That was terrific` and spin it again.<

I'm sure Pat won't mind me sharing his message.

Dear Pat,
I never cease to be amazed by your long-term memory.
"I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover/Heartbreaker" was recorded by an
English group the Merry Melody Makers and released in 1948 on HMV BD1203.
Their version of "Heartbreaker" was also issued by Victor in the US.
"I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover" was also a big hit in the late 40s for
Art Mooney on MGM 10119 backed by "Big Brass Band From Brazil".
Art Mooney also recorded "Heartbreaker" in the late 40s (Mercury 11386)
backed by "Winter".
At this time I was up to my ears in Bob Crosby, Muggsy Spanier, Louis' Hot
5/7, Jelly Roll Morton, Eddie Condon, Graeme Bell, et al, so would have
boycotted the 'Hit Parade'.
However, we have not really solved Dave Richoux's original query regarding
"a 1930-50s era male movie star who played the soprano banjo and sang."
Kind regards,
Bill.