[Dixielandjazz] Soprano (Ukulele) banjo movie star?

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 30 21:26:03 PST 2006

Bob Smith said:

[“Thanks, Pat. Your explanation agrees with mine - I remember the banjolele from his films. I think the confusion arises from the fact that George Formby always called it his little ukulele, but I don't think he was always referring to his musical instrument. I have a recording of him singing "With My Little Ukulele In My Hand". The nearest he ever came to OKOM was his parody of jazz :"John Willie's Jazz Band". As I remember it he had three hit records, viz.: "When I'm Cleaning Windows", "My Grandfather's Clock", and "I'm Leaning On A Lamppost".”]

It is possible that George Formby may have come a mite closer to OKOM than the parody you mention. I have a recording of George Formby singing “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover” with a very large orchestra that sounds to me like Paul Whiteman. On the final Out chorus there is a great solo which is supposed to be Bix Beiderbecke. It certainly sounds like Bix! Did George Formby ever sing with Paul Whiteman? I have a feint memory in the back of my mind that he did!

The other possibility is that it is the Jack Hylton band, who was supposed to be the British Paul Whiteman. In which case it might have been Nat Gonella playing the solo. I

But why does it appear on a Bix recording. Or did Bix travel to England?

The track occurs on a CD I have called Bix Beiderbecke “The Bix Beiderbecke Affair”. All the tracks are claimed to be Bix but there are no details or liner notes.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com