[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland, NO jazz, etc

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 30 09:14:40 PST 2006

I am in a quandry, where is the fine line of delineation between Dixieland and New Orleans Music, is it that Dixieland is now non-PC, or is it that which is played by non- New Orleans musicians or that music which is played by white people.

  Or is there a place in each individuals mind which separates the music performed by a person on Burgundy Street  and one who makes music in Memphis.

  When my appreciation of this form MKOM or OKOM surfaced over 65 years ago, I had no thought that because it came from New Orleans it couldn't be called JAZZ, when the revival by Lu and the YBJB in the early 40s, the ODJB and the NORK had already been implanted in my mind and the two expression, NO Jazz and Dixieland were synonymous. I drew no distinction. Yes there was the Chicago influence, St Louis influence, the move to New York and the melding of different musicians that created  the music that evolved from that particular era.

  The intermix of all the regions as far west as Texas and throughout the Mid-west  and the Deep South all coming together created a broad form of JAZZ as I accept it.
  Whether or not that I enjoy some of the music is a personal item and is for each to decide.

  Is stride piano, boogie-woogie, jug band music , blue-grass not a form of jazz expression. Sorry cannot go as sofar to include the be-boppers and post 1940s.  Can't abide something that can't be hummed, whistled, sung or understand the lyrics.

  Sorry Steve, I know that there is some music that has surfaced today that is acceptable to many, but as an OLDE FOGY, musically it maybe fine but to translate to something that I can hum or whistle while working leaves some thing to be desired.

  Just a comment by a Lurker.

  No water in my Talisker, neat please

  Slainte

  Ye Olde Mouldy Fygge