[Dixielandjazz] Peplowski's Goodman Tour

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jan 30 07:15:48 PST 2006

 Rebecca Thompson wrote on Saturday, January 28, 2006 12:41 PM
To: 'Steve barbone'; 'DJML'
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Peplowski's Goodman Tour

In Dallas we heard three trumpets (well, one was a Púge); two trombones;
four reeds (tenor,alto,clarinet) -- they alternated on all instruments; 1
drummer who doubled on vibes; 1 piano; 1 bass -- and of course Ken on
clarinet.

> To: DJML
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Peplowski's Goodman Tour
>
> Vaxtrpts at aol.com wrote
>
> > So - does anyone have the instrumentation for the tour?  I can't
> > believe that it hasn't been discussed on this list - or
> maybe I just
> > missed that message.....
>
> Closest I can come Mike is the instrumentation listed on his
> 2001 CD which was a Tribute to Benny Goodman's Carnegie Hall.
> I think the tour band is slightly smaller.
>
> 1 Clarinet (Peps)
>
> 2 Alto Sax / clt
> 2 Tenor Sax / clt
> 1 Bari Sax / clt
>
> 4 Trumpet
> 3 Trombone
> 1 Bass Trombone
>
> 1 each:  Vibraphone , Piano, Guitar, Double Bass, Drums, Vocalist
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
[Tom Duncan]Dave Brown advises that, "This is the instrumentation Benny
preferred! 4 saxes, 2 bones, 3 trumpets (Wes Orr, Dave Brown, Jon-Eric
Kellso), piano (Johnny Varro). bass (Murray Wall), drums. When the drummer
goes to vibes in the small group stuff, I play drums."

A further Google search fund the tour program at
http://www.impresarioschoice.com/ProgramSingSingSing2.pdf
and the following line-up:

David Brown – Trumpet
Jon-Erik Kellso – Trumpet
Wes Orr – Trumpet
Mike Fahie – Trombone
Matthew McDonald – Trombone
Eric Erhardt – Alto Saxophone, Clarinet
Carl Maraghi – Alto Saxophone, Clarinet
Kirby Tassos – Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet
Michael Bomwell – Tenor Saxophone, Clarinet
Johnny Varro – Piano
Murray Wall – Bass
Chuck Redd – Drums and Vibraphone
and special guest