[Dixielandjazz] Soprano (Ukulele) banjo movie star?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 30 05:10:07 PST 2006

Dave,

Like others, I immediately thought of Cliff Edwards, then George Formby, but
there is one other remotely possible candidate............. Billy Costello,
the original voise of Popeye. I say remotely possible because it would seem
he appeared in just one film - Calling All Stars (1937) the link
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0028681/ refers. This was a UK film and he also
recorded four 'jazz' sides in London in September 1936. I have both 78s which
were: Nagasaki. Nobody's Sweetheart, Dinah and Tiger Rag, all include BC
scatting in his Popeye voice !! I believe he also recorded back home in the
US as Red Pepper Sam.
~
John D