[Dixielandjazz] Tiger

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 29 18:35:42 PST 2006

"Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
said:
>>I like Tiger Rag.  Craig and I have been discussing it off list. He did a
>>bit of research so I'll defer to his analysis if he cares to present it.
>Ron
So here goes.....

I did a little research on Tiger rag - at redhotjazz.com
The first recording by the ODJB I could find is the one from 1917.
In that there are 3 parts. I believe at least back in the 50's when I was
in college we played all 3 of those parts. I've only played the tune a
tiny number of times in the last 10 years. It was not a biggie with my
previous band in Vermont. I THINK, we played it by memory (ear) and
still ran thru all 3 parts at that time..

And Ron, you are right, "That Teasin' Rag" is NOT played as part of
the "authentic" "Tiger Rag". as I believe you called it.

I think the part you are referring to where the clarinet (Larry Shields
at least in the later recordings) took most if not all the breaks is really
the "B" part
which my college band used to play. The clarinet then follows taking the
breaks in
the third part which has the same chord progression as the "Hold That Tiger"
schtick.
THe ODJB, however,  "holds off" from that familiar  phrasing obscuring that
fact, and plays it
several different ways before hitting the familiar pattern. In fact
in the earlier records they only do the Tiger schtick one time through. The
rest
of the time they are more inventive, and more interesting, for at least 2
other passes
through that part. (Of course it's the old "3 min. recording" so who knows
what they
normally did?)

And yes, that does make it far more interesting.
Other bands I've played with in the time between college and now have always
been in a big rush to get into the familiar Tiger schtick and to run through
it
more than too many times while the crowd roars its approval. (having been
transported
back to their beery college days.)

Regards,
Craig Johnson