[Dixielandjazz] Bad Tunes?????

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 16:03:34 PST 2006

Boy, Don Mopsick hit the "nail on the head" with his post about "Songs I
hate" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(He DOESN"T!)
There are very few songs that I hate, especially in the traditional jazz
repertoire.  The musicians I perform with always seem to find ways to  "freshen"
them up and we have fun doing that.
I happen to love: "Margie" and "Alexander's Ragtime Band" (which we do as a
funk tune).  I even have a soft place in my heart for 12th Street Rag,  since
I made the last three tours with Pee Wee Hunt before he died.  My big  band
has discovered the Jeff Tyzik arrangement of "In the Mood" that he did for  Doc
Severinsen and the Tonight Show Band, and that arrangement has even
revitalized that old war horse.
I guess the secret is that I LOVE playing jazz, no matter what the  tune.
And I agree with someone else who said that they even had a good  time with the
Mike Vax