[Dixielandjazz] Joe Avery's Tune

Jara Queeto jara at queeto.com
Sun Jan 29 11:00:09 PST 2006

I saw that movie for the first time recently -- Live and Let Die.

I'm pretty certain that that was the Great Olympia Brass Band doing
that funeral/murder. Didn't they start out with Just a Closer Walk
With Thee, and after they put the body in the coffin, they break into
The Second Line and everyone starts dancing.

That song is simply called the Second Line, one of the oldest and
most common parade songs. A friend of mine from New Orleans told me
that it is learned by Middle School.

And Bill Haley pretty much lifted it when he came out with Rock
Around the Clock.

Jara

Jara Queeto
Blue Bone Express Bandleader