[Dixielandjazz] the trombone as an orthodontic tool

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Jan 29 06:39:48 PST 2006

Ted wrote:
Pressure of the mouthpiece helped force the teeth back, but the reed
instrument worked against the braces and forced the teeth out.

That's actually why I am playing today, Ted.  My grandmother decided that an
instrument could help push my really bad buck teeth problem when I was about
9 yrs old.  She asked at the music store about clarinet, and they said
exactly what you state above.  So, I started on the trumpet, but after a
week changed to trombone, which I thought looked like more fun. (It's a
given fact that trombonists have more fun than trumpeters, inspite of what
trumpeters will tell you!)

I don't really think the trombone helped put my teeth inside my mouth where
they really belong.  It was more like th $3,000 my mother spent on braces!
Nevertheless, I'm a trombonist due to the theory...& my grandmother!

By the way, I learned to play the instrument, then got my braces, which
meant trying to get brand new chops, then had to once again retrain when the
braces came out.  Plus, it was a bloody affair, literally, playing with
braces.  Painful.  I used to chew gum & stick it over all the metal work to
try to protect the insides of my lips.  I believe that more modern braces
aren't as damaging, and there are products kids now use to protect their
teeth.

I've got lovely teeth now, by the way...thanks to my mom & probably a bit of
thanks to the horn!   :>

Jim