[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Band vs. Dixieland Jazz Band

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jan 28 21:45:16 PST 2006

What is played here most of the time is what I call St. Louis Style.  What
happens is everyone plays the head with more or less Dixieland style then
everyone takes a solo and ends with everyone playing sort of Dixieland and
then the cornet player does an ending and everyone congratulates themselves
on ending together.  So far as I have observed this basic style is played
everywhere even in New Orleans.  It's fun and the audience doesn't know for
the most part.  We collect the money and go home.  There seems to be little
interest in doing anything else.

Real New Orleans Jazz was arranged.  And it was done on the fly in the head.
Head arrangements were cool and worked but to pull it off the guys had to
play together all the time and the riffs were taught and perfected as well
as the beats and who played when.  All on the fly.  After the thirtieth time
it was played it got tight.

It's a pretty tall order to duplicate all of that given the modern music
scene.  I play commercially with several bands all with different styles.
Those guys only played one style.   The only place, typically, that this
kind of sound exists is with groups that play transcriptions or
arrangements.  The jazz societies tend to sneer at this but applaud the
(name the city) style especially if they play real fast.

Personally I didn't grow up with trad and duplicating the sound is not the
easiest thing.  For years I believed that there was nothing worthwhile
written before 1930 so I didn't listen to it.  I'm still learning and I
learn something every  time I hear an original tune.

The best bands around here depend on the virtuosity of the musicians which
is a good thing but the arrangement is in the background as well as the
authenticity of the sound.  I think it' a matter of taste.  Please don't
think that this is a put down at all but I like the harmonies and
arrangements of the older bands more.

So far as changing the name goes is just some more historical revisionism.
I think that's why Trad Jazz is sort of the vogue now.  Unfortunately the
people out there understand the term Dixieland and blankly stare at you if
you say Trad or Traditional Jazz.

Political correctness is the trend.  My advice is do the best you can, do
what sells, forget the cuteness and don't worry about it.

Larry Walton
St. Louis