[Dixielandjazz] Re: New Orleans Jazz Band not Dixieland Jazz Band

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 28 17:51:38 PST 2006

Richard Redmond said:

["So I have been thinking (always a dangerous thing) about the idea of calling my band a New Orleans Jazz Band instead of a Dixieland Jazz Band. Dixieland has become a bad word in some circles.  I think the kids don't relate to it, and some others think the term is almost obscene.  Especially since Katrina, and the world's reaction to the tragedy with all of the world sympathizing and reaching out to help,  it seems to make more sense."]

Oh Gees, I can hear all the European-based New Orleans styled bands having apoplexy! I guess they would think the change of name is okay providing you are going to play 'their' kind of N.O. music, which is based on the revival style of Bunk Johnson, George Lewis, Kid Ory etc. They are very protective of the style and there is a whole cult following, the headquarters of which you will find here:

http://www.kencolyertrust.org/index2.html

I feel we have flogged the unpopularity of the word 'Dixieland' to death on this list and there is no point in discussing it further. I would just to say, I disagree with your summation of the situation on a worldwide basis.

If you want to play Dixieland-style music (call it what you will: Chicago style, Condon style, West Coast, San Francisco) you can hardly call it a New Orleans band! Well, not in Europe or Oz anyway! Why not just drop the 'Dixieland and retain the 'Jazz Band'. Or use some other non specific name like 'Jazzband', or 'Stompers' (my choice for my band), 'Strutters', 'Gang', 'Paraders', 'Jazzmen', 'Rhythm Kings', 'Traditional Band', 'Hot Five', etc. You will find some other suggestions on this website, but by far the most popular is 'Jazzband' - although your spell checker will probably have a problem with the word.

http://www.revivaljassband.nl/

Of course I do always recognise there are some misunderstandings between Americans and Europeans (even Aussies!) when it comes to describing the exact genre of jazz being played by a band. In Europe the term Traditional Jazz includes both N.O. Jazz and Dixieland, and many other nuances of those styles. I had thought Americans were also coming around to this same understanding. These days I tend to go along with the French and call our style of jazz "'Hot' Jazz". And then of course there's OKOM (Grin).

And always remember that Eddie Condon said, "We called it music"! Slick was also critical of a Frenchman giving advice to Americans, and so perhaps this Aussie/Pom should be a bit more circumspect.

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com