[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Band not Dixieland Jazz Band

dave at creolejazz.com dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Jan 28 16:10:03 PST 2006

Hey, Richard. Coincidentally, we recently changed our name from the "Creole
Dixieland Jazz Band" to the "New Creole Jazz Band" (dropped the "Dixieland")
for similar reasons. While the term "Dixieland" never bothered me
personally, I've heard complaints such as those you describe below from
others. Our new name also is reminiscent of King Oliver's "Creole Jazz
Band", Kid Ory's "Creole Jazz Band", etc. so the new name, hopefully, will
pay homage to those great bands without suggesting that we're pretending to
be anywhere as good as they were. Finally, and perhaps the most important
reason, our new name is shorter and fits better on a business card.

Just goes to show, you should do what you want to do - for whatever reason.

;-)

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The New Creole Jazz Band