[Dixielandjazz] Re: What's the use? Lyrics

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Jan 28 09:18:58 PST 2006

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Dick,
>Transcribed (by me) from the Isham Jones version recorded in Chicago for
>Brunswick on 13 May 1930.
>
>"What's The Use?"
>(1930. Isham Jones, music - Charles Newman, lyrics.)
>
>"I try to smile, and pretend all the while,
>But since you went away what's the use?
>
>I try to clown just to hide every frown,
>But my heart seems to say, what's the use?
>
>I built each dream that I dreamed, just for you.
>How can they ever come true?
>
>I need you more, now than ever before,
>But you closed Heaven's door, so what's the use?"
>
>And if anyone listening-in want's to know why you would want to bother about
>this song, tell 'em to listen to the Bud Freeman & His Gang Commodore
>version from 12 July 1938 with Bobby Hackett, Pee Wee Russell, Dave
>Matthews, Bud Freeman, Jess Stacy, Eddie Condon, Artie Shapiro and Marty
>Marsala replacing  Dave Tough (but that's another story).
>
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

The learning process is a life long endeavor.
Matty Matlock taiught me this tune when I was 15. Red Nichols taught me
Cheerful Little Earful,. And Eddie Miller taught me Stomp Mr. Henry Lee
all about the same teen age period of my soon-to-be-misguided youth. But
what a way to be led to a respect for good tunes, no matter how
"popular" they may have been.
A few good tunes all too sadly neglected (but not by my bunch) are:
Futuristic Rhythm, Guess Who's In Town, I'm more than Satified,  Lonely
Old Town, Clouds (Donaldson),  My Pet,  Breeze, I Believe in Miracles, I
get the Blues When It Rains, etcetera ad infinitum.
So many tunes, so little time, such lousy chops! But my head still had
space for more.
Don Ingle