[Dixielandjazz] Back Home Again In Indiana / Butt Love - Songs we hate.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 07:02:05 PST 2006

"Bob Romans" <cellblk7 at comcast.net>

> Hi Steve...
> Hang around some of the jam sessions in our jazz clubs

No, no, not that. :-) VBG - Just Kidding. Heck I would love it as a "cutting
contest" tune at jam sessions. Yes, folks I enjoy cutting, or being cut as
the case may be. Used to be the norm in the good old days. That's how you
paid some of your dues in jazz, and learned how to play jazz. (not through
the IAJE .:-) VBG)

> ...the first tune , 9
> out of 10 times that's called is...you guessed it...I just got tired of
> hearing it and playing it about 20 years ago...CB7 never plays it.

Perhaps a matter of jazz philosophy with equally valid viewpoints. Barbone
Street almost always plays Indiana at gigs, though we do vary the key.
Sometimes F, or G, or Eb. Why?

Well ask those who might have seen the Louis Armstrong All Stars after 1947
why they ALWAYS started their performance with Indiana. . . until the day
Louis passed. (perhaps as an easy swinger, it loosens up the band?)

Chicago style (for want of a better word) bands that 100% improvise on solos
as well as counterpoint ensemble have no difficulty varying what they play.
Other styled bands who neither vary, nor improvise as much may well dislike
playing any song more than a few times a year.

As a Chicago style improvising player, even though I played the "Saints"
more than 300 times in 2005, I still love to improvise on those simple
chords. I will play it later today at least twice to appreciative audiences.

Same for BUTT LOVE. It is an integral part of our performances. From the
comedic spoken introduction. "Now we are going to play the very popular,
these days, ... Butt Love" . . . to the vocal; "I Can't give you anything .
. . .  . (pause eye connect with a pretty lady) . . . BUTT LOVE. Audience
response, ALWAYS great fun. We play it in Ab where it belongs instead of F.

Cheers,
Steve