[Dixielandjazz] Hawaiian style

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jan 21 08:13:34 PST 2006

Dear Anton and Bill,
This is from a book review I wrote of "Hula Blues" (1948).

"Toward the end of 1933 a young man named Tommy Harrison came to Johnny
Noble with the music and lyrics of a song that was destined to stir the
imagination of people from Maine to California." Noble rearranged the tune
with Harrison and a lyricist, Bill Cogswell, and it became My Little Grass
Shack In Kealakekua, Hawaii.* A Los Angeles recording made in December, 1933
by Noble's friend, Ted Fio Rito, introduced the number to mainland America.
This was followed by a more swinging version by Ben Pollack, whose band
contained the "later-to-become" Bob Crosby sidemen Charlie Spivak, Matty
Matlock, Edddie Miller, Nappy Lamare, and Ray Bauduc. Ben Pollack's apparent
interest in Hawaiian music may have accounted for the choice of his theme,
Song of the Islands. This composition by Charles Edward King, another
Hawaiian composer and band leader, was recorded by Henry "Hot Lips"
Levine'sDixieland Octet (the Barefoot Philharmonic) on the NBC 1940's radio
show,The Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street. Other recordings were
made byLouis Armstrong, Count Basie, and The Three Keys, a trio led by Bon
Bon(George Tunnell), Jan avitt's popular vocalist. In Brian Rust's
JazzRecords. 1897-1942 (ed.4. Arlington House, 1978), there are two entries
forSong of
the Islands in the index, separated by Song of the Plow. The secondSong of
The Islands should be Song of the Sands, played by Jimmie Noone and
his Clubs Ambassadors Orchestra. This misprint should perhaps be blamed on
the proof reader or publisher not Rust, whose impeccable scholarship is
legendary.
.
*Captain James Cook, the English explorer, was killed by natives at
Kealakekua Bay in 1779, one year after he discovered the Hawaiian
Islands.Cook named them the Sandwich Islands in honor of John Montagu, 4th
Earl ofSandwich, who was "a corrupt politician, remembered as the inventor
of sandwiches, to eat at the gaming- table" (Chambers Biographical
Dictionary,
1978).
A line from "Wee Deoch-An-Doris", written and made famous by Sir Harry
Lauder, is--"If ye can say it's a braw, bricht, moonlicht, nicht..."
Cheers.
Fred