[Dixielandjazz] PC proglems

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Fri Jan 20 13:37:31 PST 2006

larrys.bands at charter.net writes:

> "If you really want a system that's almost bulletproof try Linux.  ...not
> many
> people use it and most of the hardware people as well as the software people
> don't make drivers or programs for the system. There is almost nothing for
> music in Linux that I know of but there are a lot of basic, inexpensive or
> free programs for it. If you can find a compatible modem (almost always
> outboard) for Linux it's a dynamite internet machine."

Rocky Ball writes:

I think you outlined very succinctly why, unless you're a real hands-on
computer person, you DON'T want a Linux system. There is A LOT left to the user.
I've done computer support on both Mac and PC systems and I have found the Mac
to be designed as a tool that needs little maintenance, the PC to be a tool
that needs lots of maintenance, and Linux to be a tinker project that needs a
computer degree to get running (but you're right... once it's running it'll run
forever).

Just my opinion....
~Rocky Ball, Banjo, Mac
www.rubyredsband.com