[Dixielandjazz] Paul Motian

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 12:35:55 PST 2006

Steve Barbone beat me to it -- I was about to post the same very interesting
article about Paul Motian.  I sometimes question his choices in
instrumentation (multiple guitars and saxophones), but his drumming is
superb.

The article reminded me of something Whitney Balliett wrote in the New
Yorker some years back about drummer Leon Parker, who works on what some
would call the fringes of jazz.  Balliett caught him in a club, introduced
himself and, in the course of interviewing him for the piece, introduced him
to the work of Big Sid Cattlett.  Balliett heard something in Parker's
playing that echoed Catlett's drumming.  Parker had not heard Cattlett, and
was "blown away" by his work.

Does anyone know if Balliett is still writing?  I haven't seen anything of
his in the New Yorker for several years.

Ed Danielson