[Dixielandjazz] PC proglems

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jan 19 12:49:02 PST 2006

The world of business revolves around the PC but because the MAC has a Linux
style kernal and administrator system it's harder to hack or put a virus in.
The only other reason is because not that many people use the MAC as
compared to the PC.  There is also a lot of resentment out there against
Microsoft which makes the people doing this feel justified.  If you really
want a system that's almost bulletproof try Linux.  It's free but not many
people use it and most of the hardware people as well as the software people
don't make drivers or programs for the system.  There is almost nothing for
music in Linux that I know of but there are a lot of basic, inexpensive or
free programs for it.  If you can find a compatible modem (almost always
outboard) for Linux it's a dynamite internet machine.  They sell machines
with Linux for about $250-300 new at Tiger Direct.  Again, virtually bullet
proof.  You don't need a multi gigahertz machine to run it either.
Larry
St. Louis