[Dixielandjazz] There's No You

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 18 12:47:29 PST 2006

Charlie Hull <charlie at easysounds.com> wrote

> Hi, Bert
>
> There's No You was composed by (w) Tom Adair and (m) Hal Hopper and
> published in 1945.
>
> I have a thick soft cover book called Who Wrote That Song, by Dick &
> Harriet Jacobs, published by Writers Digest Books. It lists over 12,500
> American popular songs and includes composers, year of publication, who
> had the hit recording, musicals and movies in which the song appeared.
> Also lists tunes by composer, and other features.

You beat me to it Charlie. I don't have that same book, but I do have a
pocket sized book called A Pocketful of Tunes. 3 & 1/2 by 4 & 1/2 inches it
lists  about 2500 songs cross referenced by;

Composers, Shows, Songs By Year, Titles alphabetically, and Misc including
jazz and Dixie. (this last category is very small)

IT includes this listing: "There's No You" 1944 adair/hopper F

Basically "American Songbook" and invaluable to us working musicians here on
the East Coast. Includes those tunes most requested. When we do those
trio/quartet background gigs for posh society parties, corporate stuff, fund
raisers, art shows, etc., We just pull out the tunes from the book. . .
complete with original key. Or if someone says can you play some Cole
Porter, we check out those tunes under his name, or the shows he wrote for.

Edition I have only goes up to 1993. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve