[Dixielandjazz] An apology...

Jack Tracy JackTracy26 at msn.com
Wed Jan 18 21:15:28 PST 2006

  Steve Heist wrote:

  > I just saw on CBS's Good Morning Show, a biography of one fine
  > entertainer,
  > and one heck of a vocalist.
  >
  > The story for me, began over 20 years ago on board the Robt. E. Lee
  > floating restaurant in St. Louis.  I was working with the Tin Rainbow
  > Ragtimers (Doug Mattocks on banjo, Dick Hardwick on drums, and myself
  > doing
  > vocals and piano.)  At the end of the night, a perky little red head
  > approached me and told me how she loved the way we played the blues and
  > wondered if she could "sit in" with us.  I told her the night was
  > basically
  > over and Doug and Dick were already packing up as she could see.  Also,
  > that the bartenders would be put out if we started playing later than
  > normal, etc. etc.  (You know, the old bob and weave tactic...)
  > She told me how happy she was that she had just signed a record contract
  > and was in St. Louis to visit her father, John.  Well, I told her perhaps
  > some other night we could accompany her and also asked her what her name
  > was for future reference.
  >
  > There are some nights in this business when you wish you could take back a
  > decision you've made - this was certainly one of these.
  >
  > SO, if any of our high powered people on this list knows Bonnie Raitt,
  > please tell her I apologize and she can come and sing with me anytime :-)
  > I'll be GLAD to play late!
  > You never know...
  >
  > All the Best,
  > Steve Heist

  Steve:

  Your anecdote about Bonnie Raitt reminds me of the time in Chicago in the mid-1950s when I was editing Down Beat magazine and an acquaintance of mine returned some pictures he'd borrowed from us to use in a new magazine he was starting. "And by the way," he added, "My offer of a 10% interest in the magazine for $1,000, still stands."

  Well, we're talking 1955 money here, and I said, "No, thanks. Besides, I don't want to hurt your feelings, Hef, but I think it's just another girlie magazine that will never last."

  Jack Tracy