[Dixielandjazz] Frank Haggerty

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Tue Jan 17 09:21:25 PST 2006

Haggerty, who had a fascinating 'career' beginning in the Great
Depression years (what was so great about them?) became a staff musician
on a San Francisco network radio station. Other Listers have cited his
connections with Ory and Turk. Hag also worked with Del Courtney's
hotel-styled big band and numerous gigs with pianist Al Trobe.

The radio stations around the country stopped using staff musicians, and
Frank eventually moved to the Sacramento, California area. He got a day
gig, continuing to freelance musically, and played in Dutch Deutch's
Grammercy band in the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee for many years. He and his
wife, Opaline, eventually moved to the Grass Valley, California area. As
his health problems progressed, respiratory problems requiring oxygen
tanks, Frank quit gigging and played less and less.

Coordinated by keyboardist/cornetist Bill Dickson, a group of us would
occasionally go to Haggerty's and jam with him. It was a sheer delight
listening to Frank's witticisms, recollections of funny events, and
unique laid-back guitar comping and soloing. He was one of a kind and
those of us who knew him will always treasure the memories.

Their residence was built on a hillside and as Frank became more
immobile and both he and Opaline were losing their vision, they moved to
a senior residential community in Rocklin and he died shortly afterward.
The memorial party following Frank's death was a great event, with a
large number and variety of musicians who came to pay tribute to a warm
and wonderful man. Very informal and sociable. After the eulogies and
Frank stories, some of us, including Frank's son on piano, jammed a few
tunes... hearing in our minds how Hag's presence and playing would have
enhanced the music.

I made a digital tape recording of our last jam session at the
Haggerty's in Grass Valley, and am processing it into a CD for his
family and friends. Despite his debilitating health problems, Frank was
as affable and musical as always.

I'm not sure how this thread began, but I appreciate being reminded of a
precious musician and friend.

Charlie Hull