[Dixielandjazz] A Strategy To Rebuild New Orleans Cultural Heritage.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 07:07:04 PST 2006

Interesting to see that New Orleans may begin a 3 year Marketing Program to
promote its cultural heritage "from the heritage of jazz artists like Louis
Armstrong or Jelly Roll Morton;" to . . . (snip from below)

Good to see pro-active reasoning by movers and shakers in the jazz business.

Cheers,
Steve

Culture Raises Its Head and Heart

NY TIMES  By ROBIN POGREBIN - January 16, 2006

While much of the grieving and arguing about New Orleans has centered on
housing, a panel appointed by the mayor contends that any comeback will be
driven by a fierce love of the city's distinctive culture - from music to
food to folk traditions.

To that end, a report to be released today by the cultural committee of
Mayor C. Ray Nagin's Bring New Orleans Back Commission, proposes that the
city regenerate its pool of creative talent by finding jobs and shelter for
artists and cultural institutions. It must repair damaged cultural
facilities and build new ones, like a National Jazz Center and an expanded
and enhanced arts district, the report says; market New Orleans as a
world-class cultural capital; teach the arts and cultural traditions to the
city's young people; and seek investment from national and international
sources.

After the devastation wreaked by Hurricane Katrina in late August, "no one
doubts that the first order of business for New Orleans is to rebuild the
levees and address the enormous need for shelter," the report says. "But it
is New Orleans culture, our musical, visual, culinary, architectural,
literary and graphic arts, that has always drawn people to visit, to live
in, and to invest in our city. And it is our culture that will bring back
the city that we love."

Wynton Marsalis, co-chairman of the cultural committee, said in a telephone
interview: "What gives you the will to survive? That will has to do with
your soul and your spirit. That's what culture is."

Mr. Marsalis is to discuss the 42-page report at a news conference this
morning at Tulane University.

For musicians, craftsmen and other artists to regain their footing,
operations must be restored at arts organizations, the document says.

"We need to begin rebuilding our cultural economy by investing in our
creative people and our core cultural organizations and associations," it
says, "aiding those who are still here, bringing back those who were
displaced by the storms, and attracting new people with fresh talent and
energy."

The report calls for loans and grants to develop and market culture and for
the creation of an Internet clearinghouse where audiences can learn about
events, artists can exchange information and cultural organizations can
promote themselves and pool their resources.

One percent of the proceeds from bonds of most city capital projects are now
used to commission works of art. The report suggests this be raised to 2
percent.

"New Orleans cannot - and indeed should not - simply be 'put back as it
was,' " the report says. "We need a dynamic cultural strategy that
simultaneously aids the artists, organizations and associations that are
currently at risk, and clears the pathway for expansion of our cultural
sector and its appeal to cultural tourists and philanthropic investors."

Like most other industries, the city's cultural sector took a big hit from
the hurricane. Fewer than 25 percent of the city's 1,000 nonprofit and
commercial arts organizations are up and running again, and the cost of
restoring them is estimated at $185 million over three years, the report
says. More than $30 million in operating revenue will be lost by cultural
organizations this year alone, the report estimates.

About 11,000 arts employees lost their jobs, and the overall creative work
force has dropped from 15,000 to less than 5,000, the report says.
Three-quarters of the city's 260 nonprofit arts organizations remained
closed at the end of November. The uninsured damage to cultural properties,
arts businesses and artists tops $80 million, and requests for assistance
exceed $512 million.

The number of musicians has dropped from more than 2,000 to fewer than 250,
according to the report, and more than 400 of these artists have sought
assistance from their unions, reporting hundreds of thousands of dollars of
equipment and property damage. Social aid and pleasure clubs, Mardi Gras
Indian tribes and similar groups have reported losses of more than $3
million from destroyed costumes, instruments and other items.

Among the report's more specific proposals are the planning and construction
of a National Jazz Center; a Linear Culture Park that would link important
cultural sites; and an expansion of the Warehouse Arts District, with
cultural thoroughfares along South Rampart Street and Oretha Castle Haley
Boulevard.

It also suggests a three-year marketing effort to promote New Orleans
cultural history and offerings around the world, from the heritage of jazz
artists like Louis Armstrong or Jelly Roll Morton; to writers like Tennessee
Williams or John Kennedy Toole to the chef Paul Prudhomme to artists like
the photographer E. J. Bellocq. In addition, the report calls for improving
visitor amenities like signage and hospitality services; developing school
curriculums on the cultural history of Louisiana; trying to attract
investment from philanthropists and corporations; and creating a New Orleans
Cultural Restoration Oversight Commission to supervise the overall effort.

"When we saw our city go under water, it's like seeing something happen to
your mama," Mr. Marsalis said. "You wish you had something more to give it
than time."
------

If you wish information on organizations that are involved with the New
Orleans-Katrina situation, or on how you can help, see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/national/hurricane-resources.html?ex=11375
60400&en=f5c6c50f245e8d2e&ei=5070