[Dixielandjazz] Re: Guitarist FRANK Haggerty recording w/ Kid Ory

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 14 23:58:25 PST 2006

Dear Steve,
It looks like the Frank Haggerty thread has opened up another can of worms.
Apart from his guitar work on the late 50s Kid Ory Verve sessions (which I
have) he also plays banjo on two Turk Murphy LPs of 'live' performances at
Earthquake McGoons in 1965 and 1966 (which I also have), a 'live' Clancy
Hayes LP (1966) and a Wilda Baughn Sacramento Jazz LP. Also presumably
'live'.
[Love that expression, 'live'. How else do you record anybody?]
The Dizzy Verve session is (as you say) a mistake, as it it Barney Kessel on
this one.
KO Eckland's 'Jazz West' (the 1995 edition - I believe there was a 2nd one)
has the following entry entry for Frank Haggerty: bjo, g (1918 San Mateo CA)
- Capitol City; Gas House; Gramercy; Turk Murphy; Kid Ory; Pismo Exp.
Faculty STJS Trad Jazz Camp (93).
Born 1918? I wonder where he had been until the late 50s?
Regards,
Bill.