[Dixielandjazz] Nelson Riddle + Frank Sinatra = Magic

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 13 06:44:55 PST 2006

You said it Henry. Not only was Milt a monster player, but you can bet the
farm that each one of those 22 solo takes was DIFFERENT. . . improvised on
the spot one right after the other. Yessir, some may not consider Riddle or
Sinatra as "jazz" musicians, and some may not even know much about Milt
Bernhart, but IMO, they were all monster musicians and had more jazz in
their little fingers than most folks we know. They were folks that 1950's
jazz musicians used to classify as "swingers", or as "having soul". They had
an attitude mixed with expertise that produced some really fine music,
however we wish to define it.

Cheers,
Steve