[Dixielandjazz] Ted Lewis and the "gaspipe"

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 08:15:13 PST 2006

While we're on the topic of Ted Lewis...
My first real inspiration to jazz when I was about 15 years old, was a tenor
sax/trumpet/clarinet/flute player in, of all places, Loveland, Colorado,
named Dick Mango. He was originally from New Jersey, and was schooled in the
old Italian school of solfeggio...movable or stationary Do. He led a big
band and was it very busy in N. Colorado, believe it or not!
Back to Lewis...Dick Mango played with Ted Lewis during the WW-2 years, and
made two movies while in his band, 1942 and 1943, both of them named, for
some reason or other, "Is Everybody Happy"....Dick still had the movie
posters...
I remember he had a bunch of Vido Musso records, and he played right along
with every one of them. He could write an arr like most people sit down and
write a letter. Does anyone remember a 78 rpm album that came out in the
late '40's called, "Join The Band"? Billy May's band recorded it, YOU played
or sang the lead...I still have it, but I think two of the four records are
gone...dammit! Dick wrote out a solo for me on "I May Be Wrong", that I
still have. Took him about five minutes writing as fast as he could.
This DJML is something else! Sure does retrieve memories! Thanks to the
founder, Peter Lovric!!!!
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
Cell Block 7 Jazz Band