FW: [Dixielandjazz] re:parade report/feedback

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jan 9 01:34:37 PST 2006

Maybe Kash can  help.
Tom Loeb

Ha!  Well, that remark boosted my ego a bit.  Thanks, Tom!   :>
I had actually sent in my ideas when I read your mail.  Not having a tuba, I
can't quote on that problem.  We use Shure 58 mics with no problem, as long
as the speakers are spread out on each side, and the mics are aimed into the
center.  We don't use all that much volume, either.  We are a loud band with
no mics at all!   :>

I prefer one mic for trumpet & bone & we balance then by moving around the
mic.  Don't like stick-on-the-end of the horn mics, as I use gobs of mutes.
How can you use a wah-wah with a mic stuck on the bell?  I'll use the same
mic for vocals many times.  I have found that if I set the Shure up, EQ'd &
leveled for the (up close to mic) vocals, then the brass sounds great as we
stand a bit back.

I use a mic a lot for different sound effects.  Get up close, real close,
with the trombone bell with a small towel held to the bell will give you an
almost flugelhorn sound if you play really, really quiet.  Fun to experiment
with the mic.  I do vocals sometimes by singing into the trombone at the
mouthpiece end, and putting the bell up to the mic.  Makes ME laugh, anyway!
:>

Jim