[Dixielandjazz] Parade Report

Pam Munter pam at pammunter.com
Sun Jan 8 20:28:27 PST 2006

A few weeks ago, I asked for advice from this erstwhile group about
playing on a flatbed in a community parade.  Your suggestions were
all very helpful.  We found a small, reasonably quiet generator that
met all our sound needs.  Everyone in the crowd could hear us and
enjoyed us, nonetheless.

We did have one problem, though.  We couldn't hear each other.  If we
positioned the monitors/speakers where we could hear, it would create
feedback.  So we aimed them at the crowd, which was good for them but
not so good for us.

We faced forward, with the cornet and clarinet in the front, banjo
and baritone in the second row, followed by piano, drums and bass.

Are there solutions to this sound issue, without spending huge
amounts on more technology?  If we ever do this again - or play
outdoors, for that matter - this problem will resurface.

Thanks to all for your expertise and experience.

-Pam Munter