[Dixielandjazz] A Challenge and 2 Questions

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Sun Jan 8 18:43:48 PST 2006

"The ultimate goal for jazz musicians is to be able to play whatever they
think: to be able to express their ideas instantaneously without being hampered
by technical limitations. The closer to this goal a musician approaches, the
more satisfied he will be with his playing, and the striving towards this
goal  is what motivates serious players throughout their creative lives."

1. Who said this?
2. Who do you think qualifies for this ultimate category of a jazz  musician?

I found this quote in the liner notes of jazz album I purchased today at  the
Amoeba record store on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley.

For the last 8 yrs or so, I have been on a personal quest to find the
ultimate players and add their works to my CD collection. Now I seek your
collective wisdom in searching out others that I can check out.

Here is my random and short list of the ultimate musician in no  particular
rank: Bobby Hackett, Ralph Sutton, Monty Alexander, Artie  Shaw, all of the
Vache family, Vic Dickenson, Louis (of course), Eddie  Higgins, Teddy Wilson, the
Duke, Fats Waller, JRM, Bob Barnard, Tony Scott,  Django, Edmond Hall, and
Andy Blakeney.

Also, IMHO, some of the contributors to this list have the "U" quality, but
to avoid favoritism, I have opted to not include their names.

If you want to send me an email off list with your suggestions, that is  fine.

THANKS!
Art
PS Hint: If you have read this far, the quote comes from one of the names
above.