[Dixielandjazz] Playing for Free

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 12:53:37 PST 2006

Mike Vax wrote:

---Start

I have been saying the same thing for years.  Also, people who will  play
for practically no money just to "have a gig" are hurting all of us as
well.

With the festival circuit, bands whose members all have day jobs,  who will
play for very low set pay and a hotel room, have made it almost  impossible
for those of us who actually (try to) make a living, to  perform very often
at these festivals. Years ago, when I was president of the old
"International Association of  Classic Jazz Festivals," I suggested a double
scale so that festivals could  pay full time musicians and bands at a
different rate than bands made up of part  time musicians.  I was soundly
over-ruled.  The festivals couldn't  see any reason that they should pay any
musicians a "livable"  wage.  These festivals would rather have a zillion
bands, than just cut a  few bands and "share the wealth" a little more
amongst the musicians.

It is rather sad that today's up coming jazz musicians may have nowhere to
perform for any sort of a livable wage at all.  It would be a shame if jazz
music became an art form only played by "hobbyists" in the future.

---Finish

Mike, you have bigger balls than me. Basically because you play some
festivals and have everything to lose by speaking plainly. Since I choose to
avoid OKOM festivals like the plague, I have nothing to lose.:-) VBG

My hat is off to you.

Perhaps the day of the "Jazz Party" has arrived? Whereby a few excellent
"professional" bands are hired and the ticket fees are $250 or more? Thus a
Jazz party can afford to hire THE BEST and the listeners are those who not
only appreciate THE BEST, but will pay to hear them.

Seems to be working quite well in several areas of the world these days.
Maybe the audience is smartening up? (instead of dumbing down) :-) VBG.

Hopefully the promoters/venues/musicians will finally realize that
professional musicians follow the money just like every body else. If they
cannot make it like Jelly Roll Morton did in the whorehouses of OKOM jazz,
they will simply go elsewhere.

Been happening for a while now.

Cheers,
Steve