[Dixielandjazz] Finding Jazz Musicians - Was Dixieland Bone Player Wanted

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 23:47:52 PST 2006

The better players in the S.F. market for what I NEED and want, are too
deeply engaged in teaching jobs and private lessons and playing post
time at the local race tracks (3 ) and Taps at Military cemeteries to
engage in a serious full time career as a player, not to mention that
they are also into the me me me My BIG band ( that might get two paid
gigs a year if they are lucky) no marketing and no promotion and nobody
would ever know they even have a big band unless they told you at a gig.

They are fine people and have their own dream of MAKING it as a
Professional Musician,  other sidemen run out and do every low paid
club gig they can find, score a fat wedding once a month and plow all
the money into a solo CD of smooth jazz and think they are going to be
the next Coltrane turned Kenny G. or Miles Davis turned  Chris Bodi :))
  Again no promotion, no marketing, and no business plan beyond where am
I gonna get a gig for next Saturday night.   Around and around in
circles year in and year out.   I book a tour and half of them can't
get off their day gigs to go fulfill it, so I have to go looking for
adequate subs again.  It's Bull Shit I tell you there are simply VERY
FEW real Pros LEFT INTHE BAY AREA.   If I were to build the band of Bay
Area Players that I really want to tour I would have to break up seven
other bands with one good player as the leader and leave all the
sidemen on their own with nobody to book them gigs.

That's why I have  excellent sidemen in Montreal, Los Angeles, Las
Vegas, New Orleans, Florida, Switzerland, France , Italy and Germany,
and often pull tour players from other major Artists who are not
touring at the same time.   The Hired Guns can get on a plane and meet
me anywhere in the world and walk on stage and cut the gig as if they
had been there forever.

Many players dream of gong on tours and being on the road
internationally, but you would be real surprised at how many of them
when given the opportunity just can't deal with it for more than two
weeks. :))   They are very disillusioned to find out that it is really
a job and they have to work.   They have often become so complacent
with the BS here at home that they simply don't have a clue what it
takes to be a real touring musician and make a living doing it.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins