[Dixielandjazz] How do you put a value on a job?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 23:23:20 PST 2006

Dear bill:

If you are a PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN OF ANY KIND, YOUR DAY GIG IS BOOKING
YOUR NIGHT GIGS and promoting your services to others continuously to
assure you have a full calendar of professionally paid gigs to support
yourself and your sidemen at liveable wages.    Most occupations demand
that Professionals and skilled workers and even unskilled workers of
all types work 40 hours a week for a living.   Many try to get as much
overtime as possible to make extra money.  Some low paid workers even
work two jobs to improve their standard of living.

Musicians used to be respected as Professionals and somebody in the
Union decided we could all be lazy and only have to play four hours a
day and get three or four breaks in between sets so we actually only
had to deliver three hours worth of music for the money.    Many
musicians even took undue advantage of this situation by taking longer
and longer breaks, showing up late, high , drunk, and or getting or
extending their circumstances further on the job, sometimes quitting
early.   This activity was tolerated in the bars because many of them
were actually spending all the money they made for performing at the
bar and leaving with no money anyway.   Some of the old timers even
owed the bar owner a tab for overspending their wages.

This caused man musician to get a bad reputation that we now all suffer
 from the fall out on, as in the common belief that we are all drunks
and drug  or Sex addicts, ( not that there is a damned thing wrong with
being a Sex Addict ). :))  Dirty old men need Love too.  :))

Maybe that job is worth whatever a person is willing to do it for for
them personally, but that has no bearing upon what the actual job is
actually worth to a Professional with professional standards trying to
maintain a professional image and deliver a Professional show to their
clients.

Being a low paid imposter of a professional act is not doing the job
for what it is worth.   If you had believed that all during your
professional working career at what ever you did you would not be
touting that statement so loudly, because you would not have that
RETIREMENT CHECK TO LIVE ON TODAY if you and others in your career
would have tolerated that kind of activity in your profession.

On the other hand the artist dong the job may not know the true worth
of the job and will accept less because they do not value their time
and skills at a professional level and just want to do it for fun and a
hobby regardless of the impact it will and has had on the true
professional musicians trying compete for survival of their career at
wages and situations on a constant downward economic spiral due to so
many more hobbyist entering the workplace.

Hence the argument about an amateur band with six to ten ORIGINAL songs
passing themselves off as Professional musicians and watching too much
MTV and believing that that is all there is to it to become a big Rock
Star and RICH AND FAMOUS in the music business.  Gone are the days of
musical theory study, practicing and honing skills and learning how to
play real songs and in different keys tempos and styles.   That is why
all the ROCK CLUBS TODAY have to have four or five bands a night to get
thru a four hour shift, NONE of them have enough material to be a real
band and play a real professional gig even at half time.

It is pathetic, to say the least.

Yes there are situations when it is appropriate to make professional
concessions for certain gigs, like senior centers, vets hospitals, even
prisons, or any place where patients are confined and cannot get out to
participate or enjoy professional music in a live situation, however
there is a Professional way to deal with it too, and often with a bit
of asking the band leader can find funding to pay his band the normal
rate anyway.   All they have to do is go ask somebody to donate the
money for them to go donate their services to those folks and allow
that sponsor to take a legal tax deduction for doing so.   This cause
greater appreciation and RESPECT FOR THE BAND AND THE MUSICIANS   from
all parties concerned and everyone gets respectable and deserved credit
for their efforts.

Respectfully to guy I like but disagree with often.

Tom Wiggins   (still doing it for a living and Professionally)  even in
self earned from music semi retirement.

Translation:  I can afford to play where I want when I want for what I
want and still pay my musicians good money, if not I simply don't take
the gig, I give em what they pay for and then some usually.   I ain't
cheap but I can be had.  :))

To compete a band leader must adjust to the marketplace and find the
better gigs and get their first and sell QUALITY VS QUANTITY OR cheaper
prices and then deliver that quality consistently and book those
residual good gigs that come from each high quality show you deliver.
The gig is not over until you finish booking the next gigs, often after
the side men have split for home.