[Dixielandjazz] Wanted; Dixieland Trombonist who can also read.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 6 07:49:27 PST 2006

Interesting that a band based in Oakland CA, USA seeks a Dixieland
trombonist that can read also, and none of us seem to know who they are?

Yet they rehearse often and play a lot of gigs. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Are they in the
Dixieland mainstream and we not, . . . or vice versa.

Interesting also that some find there are few musicians around who can both
read and improvise jazz. I find just the opposite here in the East Coast of
the USA. e.g. There are a ton of trombonists, among the working musician
population, who can both read and improvise Dixieland. I have 6 on my "call
list" who are equal to those we acknowledge as the best of the Dixieland
trombonists around the world.

Guys like Glenn Dodson, Clint Sharmin, Brian Prebe, Herb Roselle, Dale
Defoe,  etc., etc., etc. All SUPERIOR improvising Dixieland jazz musicians
who also cut shows like Radio City, NY Musical pit bands, touring with Liza
Minelli. The Philadelphia Orchestra, touring with Rock bands, etc., etc.,
etc.

The real world of the "working" musicians is filled to the brim with
EXCELLENT jazz players who are forced to take the paying gigs in whatever
musical style is available, in order to make a living.

As one networks on the edges of that world, one finds them and is pleasantly
surprised that swinging jazz results.

Cheers,
Steve

PS. On Dorsey . . . by his own admission; "everything I play is Miff Mole."
Listen to Dorsey Dixieland, compare it to Mole, and you will hear what he
meant. I think Kenny G does much more improv than TD every did. But then,
I'd still rather listen to TD even though I consider him a "musician who
also plays jazz", not a "jazz musician". (Don't ask me what the difference
is because if you don't know, you never will).