[Dixielandjazz]Wilton Crawley . . . Was . . . Big Time Woman

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 5 08:33:22 PST 2006

Tom,
I think you'll find that in the early days a lot of the N.O. (at least)
clarinets used this style at least from time to time. And in fact that
is what Geo. Lewis and Ted Lewis both use at least from time to time.
Possibly similar to the other instruments using barnyard animal sounds
in some of their tunes (thankfully somewhat short lived). But the clarinet
players seemed to carry vestiges of this for some time.
Else, why would we have "Clarinet Squak" (spelling?)

I'm listeining on the net to a version of Dallas Blues by Maggie Jones
right now (using my "Real Rhapsody" subscription.) I'm not sure who
the clarinet player is but he's using that style you mentioned and it
is NOT a novelty record.
And I just listened to Farewell Blues by Geo. Lewis and verified
that he leaned in that direction.
And, if you get a lead sheet to Big Time Woman, I'd be interested in
a copy.
Different subject:
By the way, if you have a Real Rhapsody subscription, go there and search
for Farewell Blues and listen to the variety of styles, Woody Herman, Count
Basie,
Pete Fountain, NORK, W.C. Handy, Glen Miller, Bud Freeman Orch.
Django Reinhardt, Geo. Lewis, Tim Laughlin's Jazz Band.
and don't
miss Lester Flatt & Earl Scrugs or the "Kentucky Colonels". You might not be
bluegrass devotee, but that latter one is really neat and the Flatt Scruggs
one is amazing,
tho I like the Colonels better.

Craig Johnson
Cornet -- The Maine Street Paraders