[Dixielandjazz] Great Day in Harlem--follow-up

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 09:09:59 PST 2006

Barbone forwarded this article from the Philadelphia Daily News 12-30-05

Tonight, Bach is scheduled to be at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, where "A
Great Day in Harlem" will be screened. She will discuss the photo and film
and answer questions from the audience.

Thanks to Steve Barbone for forwarding this information on Jean Bach's
expanded feature on the  "Great Day in Harlem" photo.

She was nominated for an Oscar for the short documentary-didn't get it and
she knew that it was unlikely.  However, she went to the ceremony as she
knew it was likely that she wouldn't have another chance.

I used to see Jean at the Dick Gibson Colorado Jazz parties.  I attended
annually( 85-close in about 92-93) She related the following story to me.
Her father was a producer of various events including jazz.  When she was a
high school senior in Chicago, her father took her to an Ellington concert
which he produced.  Jean was introduced to Ellington and  father related
that Jean would be attending college at Mary Mount in NYC.  Ellington gave
Jean his card and said, " Why don't you look me up when you're in New York."
Jean related that one Saturday, she decided to take him up on his offer.
Rode the subway up to Harlem and knocked on Ellington's door.

She said that she and Ellington became life-long friends following that
visit.  They'd see each other frequently over the years.

Jean's husband was a photographer and they got to be good friends with
Johnny Mercer and wife Ginger.  After Johnny's death, Bob Bach and Ginger
edited "Our Huckleberry Friend" The Life, Times and Song Lyrics of Johnny
Mercer" published by Lyle Stuart in 1982.  Jean related to me the story
about the longtime affair between Johnny and Judy Garland.  This went on for
a number of years ( Judy had several husbands during this time.)  Jean told
about a party that was held in her NYC apartment honoring Judy.  It was a
"comeback" for Judy and she was to sing a few songs which she'd sing at her
upcoming performance.  Johnny Mercer was also a guest.  It was a cool night
in October and, because of coming winter, they'd taken in the cushions from
their patio furniture.  After the party was over and all guests apparently
had left,  they noted that Judy's  limousine was still  outside with the
parking lights on.  Fearing that all the guests hadn't left they made a
search of the house and found no remaining guest.  Then they decided they'd
better look on the patio-they found Judy and Johnny  romancing on the bare
lawn furniture!

Jean Bach's anecdote was documented in Gerald Clarke's biography of  Judy
Garland and subsequently in  Philip Furia's book, " Skylark, The Life and
Times of Johnny Mercer"-St. Martin's Press, 2003 ( p. 293)

Milt Hinton's 8 mm movie, shot by wife Mona, was a great addition to Jean's
documentary.  If you saw Milt's book,  it contained lots of photos he took
during the assembly for that photo shoot.  He said that the musicians tended
to group themselves according to instrument-pianists, drummers, reedplayers
etc.

Thanks, Steve.

Norman-I wasn't there but I enjoyed the retelling of the story--Vickers