[Dixielandjazz] Night Train

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sun Jan 1 19:33:53 PST 2006

Hiyall,

First off, I hope all of you have a great 2006 full of health, fun and
fortune.  But mostly, I hope that I have a great 2006 because 2005 was
the worst year of my short life.  Ok, enough snibbling and onto the
question at hand.

Can anyone furnish composer and publisher information on the tune most
of us would call 'Night Train?'  The ASCAP site has many Night Trains,
but nothing that looks like the famous blues.  An Oscar Peterson disk
gives it the title 'Happy Go Lucky Local' which ASCAP says Duke
Ellington wrote.  I have other recordings indicating it was written by
Jimmy Foster and/or Oscar Washington.  Google isn't much help 'cause it
seems that everyone that recorded the tune notes a different composer.

Who got the real composer and publisher?

Thanks in advance.

All the best, Gary