[Dixielandjazz] Microphone Recommendations

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 06:36:18 PST 2006

If you  can only afford one mic for vocals and instrument, the first  choice
should be a Shure SM58.

If you can afford 2 mics separate for vocals and instruments it would be an
SM58 for vocals and an SM57 for instruments.

One thing about using an SM58 & SM57 . . . most every sound engineer  you
work with is used to working with these mics. They know what to expect and  how
to optimize them. They are the standards of the industry.

There are more expensive Shure Beta mics that are even better, but you
mentioned you were on a budget.

If you're on a tight budget, then look at the "Performance" versions of
these mics. A bit less money for close to the same performance.

For micing at a distance, my first choice would be an Earthworks mics.  Check
these babys out at: _http://www.earthworksaudio.com/index.html_
(http://www.earthworksaudio.com/index.html)

They blow away everything else on the market. I've heard them on choirs and
drums. Nothing else like them. They'll send you a free demo CD from their
website.

Otherwise, you would be wise to consider a Shure SM81 for general micing at
a distance.

Hope this helps!
Bill
414-777-0100