FW: [Dixielandjazz] Microphones

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Feb 28 02:39:33 PST 2006

Shure SM58:  I've had the same one for at least 20 yrs.  Use it between the
trumpet & trombone (picture a triangle with the mic is in one corner, myself
in the other, and the trumpeter in the 3rd corner of the triangle...between
2 & 3 ft away from the mic).  Also use the same mic for vocals.

Secret:  by not standing too close to the mic, the horns can be played at a
good, strong level, the mic being used as "support" rather than
amplification.  And, if you want to get sexy with some close mic muted horn,
you can move in.  The mic is at a decent level, then, for the close-to-mouth
vocals.

Tom wrote:
Personally I think that a horn player who needs a microphone in any gig
other than a  very large venue  (say 500 seats or more)is a WIMP of a player
unless he is playing with an amplified Rock band.

Hee, hee!  Come hear us, Tom.  Pepe & I will blow your beard off!   :>
We normally are forced to use an amplified keyboard, and our string bass
uses a pickup to an amp, so the band is not necessarily a "low level" item.

Using the mic as stated above nullifies Tom's comment, anyway.  I like to
think of it as another instrument on the stage, and use it as such.  Blue &
Sentimental, getting up close to the mic with the bell of the trombone,
playing ever so softly...like whispering sweet nothings in someone's ear.
Yep, the mic is another instrument on the stage.

By using just one mic, we leave little for the sound engineer (if there is
one) to destroy.  We handle the balance instead of him, by adjusting our
distance from the mic.  Hint:  if the trombone places his bell very close to
the trumpet bell at right angles, blowing across the sound coming from the
trumpeter, (& both close to the mic, playing softly) you can get an
unbelievable blend of tones, especially if playing in unison.  The air,
crossing over, seems to broaden the sound of both horns, creating an almost
flugelhorn sound.

The question was asked about one mic at a distance on the stage for the
whole band.  There is one that will do it, but it can cost you up to
$10,000.  It's the SoundField mic, a stereo mic which uses 4 heads. Not
necessarily an item that everyone carries around with them. Often used to
record an entire orchestra by hanging the mic over the stage.

Jim